The City of New London strongly supports local businesses and recognizes their importance within the community. In response to the economic hardship resulting from COVID-19, the City has created a grant program to assist small businesses with loss of revenue as a result of the pandemic. This recovery grant is not intended to be the sole source to sustain a business during this health crisis. Businesses are encouraged to seek out additional sources of stop-gap funding in addition to this grant.
Each grant recipient that qualifies will be offered up to $1,000 for eligible expenses outlined below.
If requests exceed available funding, grants will be awarded based on a random selection of eligible applications that meet the criteria in the program description. Applicants who were unable to apply or did not qualify for the Payroll Protection Program will take priority during selection. This grant is being administered in partnership with the New London Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Applicant must own business within city limits, with 0-20 FTE employees as of March 17, 2020. Business entities must be New London, Wisconsin organizations. Sole proprietorships do qualify if they meet all other requirements.
- The applicant’s business must have been operating and open to the general public as of March 17, 2020.
- Must be a for-profit business of any legal structure (non-profit organizations are not eligible). The applicant must be in good standing at the time of application with the State of Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions and the City of New London (if the applicant is the responsible party for the following, they must be current: real and personal property taxes, outstanding payments, potential judgments, licenses, fines, permit fees, or other amounts due to the City).
- At the time of application, the applicant must have been in a state of total closure or was unable to operate one or more of the primary functions of its business during the Safer At Home Act. The closures or business restrictions must be a result of the State’s ‘Safer at Home Order’, and must have occurred on or after March 17, 2020.
- The maximum grant is $1,000. Grant proceeds may be used for business expenses that became due on March 1, 2020 or later, the purchase of PPE for staff, or investments in modifications to business spaces and operations to reduce transmission of COVID-19 and restocking perishable inventory.
- Businesses that have received a City of New London Building Façade grant in the past 5 years are not eligible.
The application form may be considered a public record. However, any financial attachments will be considered confidential and will not be considered a public record.
Application and documentation (i.e. receipts or profit and loss documents) are due by July 17, 2020. Applications can be mailed or dropped off to the City of New London:
215 N. Shawano St.
New London, WI 54961